Telephone: 01983 720 921

Demolition FAQ

At JPC Demolition, we know that the safe demolition of any building or facility is an involved process that requires careful planning. Over our many years in the business, we have developed a deep knowledge of the relevant procedures, regulations and safety practices. As a service to our customers, we've produced a series of answers to questions that we routinely answer for our customers.

The questions and answers listed below cover Demolition Works, and provide very useful information for the post planning application stages of any demolition project, should you have any further queries however, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Q: Do I have to notify the Health and Safety Executive of the works?

Yes, if your project falls into notifiable works under Construction (Design and Management) Regulations Act 2007 regulations (CDM) then you or your CDM coordinator will need to submit to the HSE, a particular application form, called an F10. Every site should have one of these displayed in a prominent location. For more information about Health and Safety, please visit the HSE website.

Q: Does the works need a CDM Coordinator?

Yes, if the demolition stage is notifiable (i.e. longer than 500 man-hours or 30 days). If the project duration is less than the above, or if you are carrying out domestic demolition (i.e., not development for income), then there are different CDM regulations although these projects are non-notifable. By law, JPC Demolition are not allowed to serve as a CDM coordinator as the HSE require an independent person who is qualified in this field. We can, however, recommend a reputable one to you.

Q: What is a principal contractor?

A principal contractor, or PC, will manage and co-ordinate all works including HSE matters on site for the duration of the whole project or each phase. (If it is for each phase, a separate F10 will be needed each time with each PC on it); for more information about F10's, please see the question about HSE notification). JPC Demolition, the main build contractor or the project manager can do this for you.

Q: Do I need to let the local council know what we are doing, even if I have planning permission?

Yes, the local authority will need to be notified with what's called a Section 80 application. The council will then issue a Section 81 demolition notice. At JPC Demolition, we can do this for you as part of our service.

Q: What should I know about asbestos?

Under current law, each developer or property owner is required to conduct a 'Type 3 Asbestos Survey' prior to beginning demolition. This is an intrusive survey and involves knocking holes in walls, ripping up floorboards and pulling down ceilings. The aim is to uncover any potential health hazards so that they can be removed without presenting a danger to workers or members of the public. JPC Demolition can organise a Type 3 survey for you, if required.

Q: What if I need to remove asbestos?

Asbestos falls into two categories: (1) Notifiable – where HSE notification is required (takes 14 days) and removal involves specialised decontamination units and removal which can prove costly; or (2) Non-notifiable – where HSE notification is not required and removal is less costly. Disposal is the same for either. At JPC Demolition, we can help with both notifiable and non-notifiable asbestos work. The Health and Safety Executive has more information about asbestos.

Q: What about the electricity, gas, water and telephone supplies to the building?

The electricity and gas will need to be disconnected at the property boundary prior to the start of any demolition works. Water can usually be shut off on the road supply, whilst telephone cables can be cut, rolled up and attached back to the pole. Disconnecting the services is crucial to quick progression and worth doing as soon as possible, as it can take between two and three months to organize this with the utilities. We ask that you arrange this prior to our involvement, if however you do require us to undertake this for you, please ask as we may undertake this for you as an additional cost.

If you would like to find out more about demolition, contact us using the information on the right.